What is Heartburn?
Heartburn is a burning sensation in the chest, it is caused by stomach acid rising up into the oesophagus. This pain is often made worse when lying down, bending over or after eating.
Symptoms of Heartburn
While the main symptom of heartburn is a burning feeling behind the breastbone, you may also experience these symptoms:
- Bitter or sour taste in the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing
- Feeling like food is stuck in the throat
- Regurgitation of food or sour liquid
- A dry cough and hoarse voice
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
Causes of Heartburn
Lots of people occasionally experience heartburn, and in most cases it’s nothing serious.
Some of the possible causes could be:
- Certain food & drink – common triggers include fatty or fried foods, chocolate, caffeine, and alcohol
- Smoking – relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter and increases production of stomach acid
- Obesity and poor diet – puts extra pressure on the stomach and can cause acid reflux
- Pregnancy – at the uterus expands, it can put pressure on the stomach and cause acid to flow back into oesophagus
- Hiatal hernia – when your stomach pushes through the diaphragm and into the chest
Treatment for Heartburn
Treatment for heartburn typically includes lifestyle changes and over-the-counter medications.
Some things you can do to stop or reduce your risk of heartburn include:
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals (instead of 3 big meals a day)
- Avoid foods known to cause heartburn
- Try not to eat close to bedtime
- Lose weight if you’re overweight
- Quit smoking
Over-the-counter treatments include:
- Acid blockers
- Proton pump inhibitors
Get Your Medicine Delivered with Healthera
If you’re currently suffering from heartburn, you can get over-the-counter medicine delivered straight to your door with Healthera.
Simply open up the app, and navigate to the “Stomach & Bowel” section of the Pharmacy Shop.