What is Nappy Rash?
Nappy rash is a common and uncomfortable skin irritation that appears as red, inflamed patches on a baby’s bottom, genitals, and thighs. Although it’s generally not serious, it can last for several days or longer if left untreated.
What Does Nappy Rash Look Like?
Nappy rash symptoms can be noticeably uncomfortable and distressing for your baby, and can include:
- Red or raw patches on the bottom or whole nappy area
- Dry and scaly skin
- Spots, pimples or blisters on the bottom
- Skin looks sore and feels hot to the touch
What Causes Nappy Rash?
Skin irritation is the leading cause of nappy rash, and it often results from:
- Leaving a wet or dirty nappy on for too long
- Friction from wearing tight or poorly fitted nappies
- Some babies may be allergic to soaps, detergents, or baby wipes
- Infections caused by bacteria or fungi
It’s important to keep in mind that each baby is unique, and some babies may be more susceptible to developing nappy rash than others.
How to Treat and Prevent Nappy Rash
Here are some ways to help your baby feel better if they have nappy rash, as well as prevent it from happening again:
- Change your baby’s wet or dirty nappy as soon as possible, ideally 8 to 12 times a day
- Clean your baby’s bottom gently with warm water or unscented, alcohol-free wipes
- Let your baby’s skin air-dry or pat it dry with a clean towel before applying a very thin layer of barrier cream
- Give your baby a daily bath until the nappy rash clears up
- Make sure your baby’s nappy fits properly and is snug under the belly button
- Let your baby go without a nappy when possible, for example during playtime on a towel
- Avoid using fragranced soaps, bubble baths, lotions or talcum powder, as these can further irritate the skin
- Consult with your pharmacist or doctor to see which cream would be suitable for your baby
Make Them Feel Better with Healthera
If your baby is currently suffering from nappy rash and you’d like to get your treatment delivered to your home, then Healthera is here to help.
Simply navigate to the “Skincare” section of the “Pharmacy Shop” in the app to find what you need.
To get started, click the button below to open (or download) your Healthera app.