Ropinirole is a medicine used to treat conditions which affect your motor functions, including Parkinson’s disease and restless legs syndrome.
Ropinirole is categorised as a dopamine agonist, which means the drug tricks the brain into thinking it’s dopamine, mimicking the effect dopamine has on the body to reduce your motor symptoms.
In the case of Parkinson’s disease, the medicine can help reduce symptoms like tremors, slowness and muscle stiffness.
Common Side Effects - more than 1 in 100 people
As with any medication, taking ropinirole can cause unwanted side effects but these are generally mild and tend to go away by themselves.
Many people that take ropinirole for their condition do not experience any side effects.
If you’re experiencing any of the following side effects, and they don’t go away by themselves, speak with your doctor or pharmacist for further guidance:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feeling fatigued (tired and weak)
- Feeling anxious or nervous
- Dizziness when you get up (head rush)
- Stomach pain
- Twitching, twisting or writhing movements you can’t control (Dyskinesias)
Serious Side Effects - less than 1 in 1000 people
Though rare, it’s important that you know the potential serious side effects that can occur when taking ropinirole. This will help you identify the side effect should you start experiencing it, so that you can quickly approach your doctor or pharmacist for guidance.
- Hallucinations: seeing, feeling or hearing things that are not there
- Feeling completely fatigued (tired and weak), or falling asleep suddenly
- Swollen legs, feet or hands
- Uncontrollable impulses: binge eating, gambling, shopping etc
- Your restless legs syndrome symptoms get worse
For more detailed information on how to deal with these symptoms, please visit the official NHS website.
Order Your Ropinirole with Healthera
If you’ve been prescribed ropinirole to reduce your Parkinson’s or restless legs symptoms, then you can now place your prescription order online from your local pharmacy with Healthera.
It only takes a few minutes to set up your prescription for collection or home delivery, right to your door.
To get started, simply click the button below: