Sertraline is a widely prescribed antidepressant that provides relief for many individuals struggling with depression. However, like any medication, it can come with certain side effects.
By understanding and managing these side effects, individuals can take proactive steps to minimise discomfort and ensure a successful treatment journey.
Common Side Effects - more than 1 in 100 people
If you experience any of these side effects, it’s important to continue taking the medication as prescribed. However, if the side effect persists and continues to bother you, speak to your GP or pharmacist for further guidance.
- Feeling sick (nausea)
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping
- Daytime drowsiness
- Dry mouth
- Fatigue or weakness
Less Common Side Effects
As sertraline affects people in different ways, you may experience a less common side effect. You should speak to your GP or pharmacist if they continue to bother you, who will be able to offer further guidance or perhaps a different course of treatment.
- Sexual dysfunction
- Agitation or restlessness
- Increased anxiety
- Blurred vision
Serious Side Effects
Although rare (affecting less than 1 in 100 people), some individuals may experience serious side effects while taking sertraline.
Call 111 or visit 111.nhs.uk now if you’re experiencing:
- Changes in your periods, such as heavy bleeding, spotting, or bleeding between periods
- Unintentional weight gain or weight loss
- Overwhelming feelings of happiness (euphoria), excessive enthusiasm or excitement, or an inability to sit or stand still due to restlessness
- Yellowing of the whites of your eyes or yellowing of the skin (which may be less noticeable on darker skin tones), as these can be signs of liver problems
- Coughing up blood or blood in your urine
- Black or red stools, or blood in your vomit, as these can indicate bleeding from the digestive system
- Unexplained bleeding from the gums, or unexplained bruises or increasing bruising
It’s important to note that this page does not include the full list of side effects of this medication, for more information, please check the leaflet inside of your medicine packet.
Get Your Sertraline Online from Your Local Pharmacy
If you’ve been prescribed sertraline to treat your major depressive disorder, you can now place your prescription order online using the Healthera app for collection or home delivery.
It only takes a couple of minutes to set up your order and it’ll be one less thing to worry about.
To get started, simply click the button below and choose whether you’d prefer to order through our website or app: