What is Clopidogrel?
Clopidogrel is a medicine that helps prevent dangerous blood clots from forming in your body. It does this by stopping platelets, which are tiny blood cells, from sticking together and causing blockages in your blood vessels.
What is Clopidogrel used for?
If you have an increased risk of blood clots, taking clopidogrel can significantly reduce that risk and help keep your heart and blood vessels healthy.
You may be prescribed Clopidogrel if you are identified as having a higher risk of forming blood clots, this may be because you have experienced one of the following:
- Acute coronary syndrome (minor heart attack or unstable angina)
- Heart attack
- Stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Coronary stent placement (a device to open up a blocked artery in the heart)
- Open heart operation
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Vascular operation
Common Side Effects – more than 1 in 100 people
While these side effects are fairly common, you should talk to your GP or pharmacist if they don’t go away or if you’re concerned about them:
- Bleeding more than usual – nosebleeds, bruising easily or bleeding that takes longer to stop
- Stomach pains
- Heartburn or indigestion
It is important to note that not all of the side effects are listed on this page, to find all of the potential side effects, please check the leaflet inside your medicine packaging.
Serious Side Effects – less than 1 in 1,000 people
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should speak to your GP, phone 111 or visit 111.nhs.uk as soon as possible:
- You notice blood in your urine, stool or vomit
- You are coughing up blood
- You’ve noticed a yellow tinge to your skin or the whites of your eyes (this can indicate a problem with your liver)
- You feel very tired, have a high temperature or sore throat
Get Your Clopidogrel Online with Healthera
If you have been prescribed Clopidogrel by your doctor to reduce your likelihood of heart problems (such as stroke), you can use your Healthera app to order your medication from your local pharmacy.
It takes less than two minutes to get your prescription set up for collection or home delivery, and you can use the app to set medicine reminders so you never forget to take your dose.
To get started, click the button below to choose how you’d like to order: