Lamictal, also known by its generic name lamotrigine, is a medication classified as an antiepileptic or anticonvulsant drug. It is often prescribed to treat epilepsy, and bipolar disorder.
Lamictal slows down electrical signals in the brain by modulating ion channels in the nerve cells, helping to stop seizures that are caused by sudden bursts of electrical activity.
In the case of bipolar disorder, Lamictal acts as a mood stabiliser, helping to regulate mood fluctuations, contributing to a more balanced emotional state.
Common Side Effects - more than 1 in 100 people
Like with any medication, taking lamictal can cause unwanted side effects. These are usually mild and tend to go away by themselves. However, if you’re experiencing any of these side effects, and they continue to bother you, consult your GP or pharmacist for further advice.
The most common side effects include:
- Difficulty Sleeping: lamictal can influence sleep patterns, potentially causing difficulty sleeping, insomnia, or disruptions in the sleep cycle
- Drowsiness, Sleepiness, or Dizziness: when taking lamictal, it’s important to be cautious, especially when engaging in activities requiring focus, like driving
- Aggression, Irritability, or Agitation: some individuals may experience changes in mood, including feelings of aggression, irritability, or agitation
- Shaking or Tremors: lamictal can impact motor coordination in some people
- Headaches: Lamictal may lead to headaches, varying in intensity and duration
- Diarrhoea (runny poo): drink plenty of fluids to rehydrate your body
- Nausea or Vomiting: Feelings of nausea or episodes of vomiting are more likely in the initial stages of lamictal treatment.
- Mild Skin Rash: speak to your doctor if you get a skin rash from taking lamictal as you might need to change medication
For more detailed information on the side effects of lamictal, please visit the official NHS website.
Order Your Lamictal Online with Healthera
If you’ve been prescribed lamictal by your GP to treat your epilepsy or bipolar disorder, you can place your order online from your local pharmacy with Healthera.
It only takes a few minutes to set up your prescription for collection or home delivery, right to your door.
To get started, simply click the button below: