According to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS), around two-thirds of smokers in the UK want to quit, but less than half are successful in doing so.
Whether you’re a smoker, or someone supporting a loved one in their journey to quit smoking, one thing is clear: nicotine is highly addictive, and quitting is not easy.
But with a combination of willpower, support and the information in this article – you (or your loved one) is on the right track to finally wave goodbye to nicotine!
Benefits of Quitting
Quitting smoking brings a wide range of benefits for physical and mental health, and they begin almost immediately:
Within 48 hours of quitting:
- Heart rate returns to normal
- All carbon monoxide has left the body
- Lungs start to clear out mucus
- Sense of taste and smell begin to improve
- Improved sense of taste and smell
- Breathing becomes easier
- Improved circulation of blood around the body
After the first year:
- Risk of heart attack decreases to half of a smoker’s
But it’s important to note that not all of the benefits that come with quitting smoking are health-based, some are social and financial benefits:
- When you quit smoking, you’ll realise just how bad it smells
- You’ll have improved confidence and self-esteem
- If you’re a parent, you’ll become a better role model for your children
- You’ll save tons of money that would have been spent on cigarettes
Tips to Help You Stop Smoking
Before we look at these methods, remember that you have made the decision to quit, and that’s the most important step.
Quitting is a difficult process and it could take multiple attempts until you’re fully successful – so if you slip up, don’t give up… just use it as a learning opportunity to do better this time!
Here’s our top tips on how to quit:
- Write down your reasons for quitting, your goals, and your plan of action. Set a quit date and stick to it.
- Get support from your friend, family or join a support group online. Let them know you’ve decided to quit and that you’d like their support!
- Smoking is often linked to certain habits and routines, try to break the link by creating new habits.
- Give yourself small rewards for reaching milestones in your quit journey, such as a massage or a new book.
- Book yourself a Smoking Cessation session at your local pharmacy
Healthera Makes Quitting Easier
If you’re determined to stop smoking then using Healthera (your personal health hub) can make the whole process easier both mentally and physically.
Simply click the button below to open your Healthera app and book a Smoking Cessation appointment at your local pharmacy!
And if you need some extra help, try navigating to the Pharmacy Shop to see what Smoking Control goods your pharmacy has to offer (they may even be able to deliver to your home!)