Parkinson’s disease is a condition in which the brain gets progressively damaged, causing significant issues with movement.
The disease is characterised by the degeneration of neurons in part of the brain called the substantia nigra, and the accumulation of abnormal protein structures known as Lewy bodies. These changes disrupt the normal functioning of the brain, leading to motor and non-motor symptoms.
Signs and Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
The main symptoms of Parkinson’s are:
- Tremors: Involuntary shaking of hands, fingers, or other body parts
- Bradykinesia: Slowness of movement
- Rigidity: Stiffness of muscles
People suffering from Parkinson’s disease may also experience this symptoms in addition to the main symptoms listed above:
- Postural Instability: Difficulty in maintaining balance and an increased risk of falls
- Cognitive Impairment: Changes in memory, attention, and problem-solving
- Sleep Disturbances: Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Mood Disorders: Depression and anxiety are common non-motor symptoms
Risk Factors of Parkinson’s Disease
People with Parkinson’s disease tend to develop symptoms when they’re aged over 50, however in some cases, people will first experience under the age of 40.
While most cases are sporadic, a small percentage of individuals may have a genetic predisposition to Parkinson’s.
It should be noted that men are also slightly more likely to get Parkinson’s disease than women.
Medications for Parkinson’s Disease
Unfortunately there’s not currently a cure for Parkinson’s, but there are medications available that can help to reduce the main symptoms and maintain your quality of life.
- Levodopa: Converts to dopamine in the brain, alleviating symptoms
- Dopamine Agonists: Mimic the action of dopamine
- MAO-B Inhibitors: Slow down the breakdown of dopamine
Order Your Prescription Online with Healthera
If you have been prescribed medication to help reduce your Parkinson’s symptoms, you can now place your order online from your local pharmacy with Healthera.
It only takes a few minutes to set up your prescription for collection or home delivery.
To get started, simply click the button below: